Cogito Books is a haven of bookish delights in the Northumbrian market town of Hexham. Step in from a cobbled side-street and discover a welcoming environment where time flows at a more thoughtful pace. You’ll be inclined to linger as you browse our carefully-curated shelves, and we’re always delighted to talk about books, providing a wealth of inspiration and tailored recommendations. We take time to listen and get to know our customers, helping to pair readers with books they will relish.
Owned and run by Claire Grint, Cogito Books has been a family business since 2001. With regular author events, stimulating displays and three thriving monthly book groups, we are proud to be an active part of our dynamic local community.
We love to share books with young people, starting from the earliest age, through our weekly storytelling sessions and book-themed activity trails during the holidays. Visiting local schools – and having them visit us – is both a lot of fun and a really important part of what we do. For the over-tens, our children’s book group is very popular and has provoked some fascinating and memorable discussions.
- Tailored recommendations, book ideas and inspiration based on our bookselling expertise
- Welcoming, relaxed atmosphere
- Friendly, knowledgeable team
- Vast array of titles encompassing a huge range of subjects and genres
- Efficient, reliable next-day ordering service
- We always go the extra mile to order difficult-to-source or obscure titles for customers
- Customer service is at the heart of our ethos and we are proud of the excellent relationships we have built with many of our loyal customers
- We run three popular book groups each month: Fiction, Crime Fiction and Children’s
- We offer a bespoke personal book consultation, the Cogito Reading Treat
- We also offer a Children’s Reading Treat
- We organise regular author events, either held in the bookshop or at partner venues
- Weekly children’s storytelling for pre-schoolers is a regular fixture, as are bookish activities in the summer holidays
- We work closely with many local schools, including school visits and events within the bookshop
Customers from near and far often comment on how friendly and inviting the atmosphere is: the perfect environment to unwind in as you browse our shelves.
With over 10,000 books, encompassing a vast breadth and depth of subjects and genres, our unique, hand-picked selection is bound to give you food for thought. One of the joys of independent bookselling is the opportunity to reflect our customers’ enquiring minds and kaleidoscope of interests, through championing books we also love ourselves.
And if we don’t have the title you are after, you won’t need to wait long to get reading. We pride ourselves on our next-day ordering service, routinely going the extra mile to source your next read and get it to you as swiftly as possible.
If you’re looking for a present for the bibliophile in your life, or just a long overdue gift-to-self, our Cogito Reading Treat is a delightfully indulgent personal reading consultation over tea and biscuits. It’s such a joy to settle down on one of our cosy sofas for a good chat to explore your reading tastes, drawing on our experience to help you select six books to take away; perhaps revealing some new avenues to explore in the process. We also offer a children’s Reading Treat, for avid bookworms and less confident readers alike, complete with Fentimans fizzy pop and of course, more biscuits.
Open six days a week, 9am to 5.30pm, our friendly team are always on hand to spark ideas and uncover new reading gems.
Trade memberships / Awards / Qualifications
Member of the Booksellers Association
5 St Mary’s Chare, Hexham, NE46 1NQ
Telephone: 01434 602555