The Wheat Weaver aka Carol Partridge is one of only a handful of remaining straw weavers and corn dolly makers in the UK. She not only makes the traditional corn dolly designs but also many more contemporary versions including seahorses keeping this traditional rural craft both alive and evolving.
Carol developed her skills in this traditional rural craft a few years ago and now researches and makes the traditional designs specific to different areas of the British Isles as well as taking interest and inspiration from similar rural crafts in other countries.
- Traditional and contemporary corn dollies
- Workshops, talks and demonstrations about corn dollies of the British Isles and further afield
- Commissions for weddings, anniversaries and other special events
- Works collaboratively with artists to produce custom pieces for art installations
- Works with event organisers to produce decor for rustic themed celebrations and exhibitions
Carol has collaborated with a number of artists to create static and live installations as well as props for the film, theatre and music industries. These are a long way from the traditional image of small corn dollies both in scale and designs.
While the skills of a straw crafter or wheat weaver may seem to be in decline Carol has both revived and enlivened the folk art. Even sourcing the correct materials can be difficult as the most suitable straw is now only grown by a handful of specialist farmers.
Carol has an online shop on Etsy which features some of her creative work
Trade memberships / Awards / Qualifications
Member of the Guild of Straw Craftsmen
Holder of the Craftsmen’s Award from the Guild of Straw Craftsmen
Member of the Heritage Crafts Association
Member of The Basketmakers’ Association
Halyards, Collingwood Road, St Margaret’s at Cliffe, Dover, Kent CT15 6EX
Telephone: 07771 701606
Facebook: The Wheat Weaver